1899: On 3rd November 1896 Cardinal Vaughan transferred the parish of Ealing into the hands of Abbot Edmund Ford, having first offered this mission to Downside Abbey back in 1895, when the foundation stone for Westminster Cathedral was laid. At that time the Benedictines had been ministering to local Catholics from a house in Acton since 1832.
Abbot Ford of Downside Abbey bought the Castle Hill House estate, covering what has become Blakesley Avenue, Charlbury Grove and Marchwood Crescent, and also two acres of land. Father Bernard Bulbeck, from Downside, took up residence in March 1897 using the conservatory in the house for a make-shift chapel. This house was much too large and so was let. The mission’s first priests moved into the new buildings at 2 Marchwood Crescent at the end of 1899.
1910: First monastic building: 10 cells, kitchen and refectory, calefactory, sacristy
1974: New monastery building, consisting of 12 new monastic cells, new reception and 2 parlours, new kitchen and refectory, new calefactory; old refectory converted to St Rupert’s chapel, old calefactory turned into library.
Architects: Hellberg, Harris and partners of Coventry
2000: New cloister, new front door and reception.
Architects: Sir William Whitfield and partners
Please be generous in your support of the monastic community
and our ministries of hospitality and welcome
today and in the future
Live for today, plan for tomorrow
This page is in development
© Ealing Abbey, copyright 13 September 2012